April 03, 2020

birthday blues: the story of how i wished her...

I don’t think I can blame her, if she feels extremely depressed about her birthday. The only reason being that until last year, her birthdays were an occasion for her.

She came to know she was adopted last year.

She had left home. When I called to wish her on her last b’day, she told me she was planning to drink. I told her not to, but in the evening, when I called her again, she was drunk. She cried out to me, said she bought muffins and cans of beer. Not that I think beer could make one sloshed…but she was. Any intoxication mixed with grief can make one high. That was, at least my experience.

Tomorrow is her b’day. I do not feel like wishing her this time. But I love her so much that I can not stop myself from wishing her. Ever since I have known her, I have. She has laughed, cried and frowned on different occasions. Reasons were weird. Sometimes, she was delighted thinking she was becoming older, sometimes, the thought of becoming more mature, sometimes, that I was late in calling her up.

Tomorrow, I should…do not know if she is still alive though. I call her only for her birthdays.

This year maybe she has lots more stories to tell me…

Happy birthday to her!

No comments: