April 03, 2020

Love...demons...

That was my valentine gift. Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Didn’t start reading though…slept of and saw demons in dreams. Still wondering what love and demons have in common? Both are fierce? Is that so? It was after a lot of cribbing that I finally managed to get a gift…but knowing me for what I am I guess the gift was not chosen badly. Basically, I never remember getting a gift for this day. Yes, I did…the red drowsy roses, me and aachi bought from Jose uncle’s shop once upon a time…no teddy bear loves, no candle light dinner.

Neither did I know that abnormalities waited for me in the path of love, where valentine’s was just another day when “Americans” actually showed love!!! And the Yamani version of it, when you love a person all through the year, what is the purpose of having a day to show love?

Yes, maybe it is the consumerism of today’s world that paved an extremely polished graveled highway to the market goers of today. In the most famous shopping mall of Bangalore, I saw its extremities. A crystal (Swarovski…I think) chain on his lover’s neck; the village lass turned city-gal: pointed heels on the potholed roads, eyes searching for someone who could hand over a rose and say, “Be my valentine!”

My heart was in the groove, I wanted a gift too. But then, when I saw that love was not anywhere around and what mattered was just “Oh! WOW! He got me a diamond!!!” I thought, it is better off in my case. I was happy eating Lebanese BBQ chicken and prawn fried rice, and laughing, as usual…Every day was Valentine’s Day…ahem…ahem!

No comments: