April 03, 2020

Hair Line...s

The story of how…

I woke up with a start, to the sound of water…thought it might be one of those rainy, shadowed days. I then saw the trail of ants on their regular bootcamp sessions...I stared at them for a long time,they creeped out to the open window from my greenish bedcover. Black and Brown Ants. Suddenly caught with an urge to destroy, I killed two of them. Poor souls departed into the shadowed day...
My mobile cried loud, it is 6:00. I tossed back with negligence, it was a sunday. Not to bother the wails.
On the wall was a line, a not-so-thick black line. On the cream paint, it shone. Of course, Sunsilk Black makes hair shine...but I thought they die when they fall off. So that was it. Hair. I pulled it from the wall and dropped it on the floor. Another broom session and baby, you end up in a rotten namma bengalooru garbage bin.
I picked up a book. Collection of Poems by Anita Nair.
There again, I saw dead cells scattered. A entwined mass of hair. Black, Red and Brown.
I sighed as the image of Kareena Kapoor and the hair colouring ad whisked its way in my mind. I made a mental pledge not to colour my hair again.
I picked the dead lovers from the pages of the book, flew them off to the floor again. Somewhere between the lines, my eyes gave up and I fell into a mass of entwined coloured hair.
I tried blowing them away. Years of Sunsilk and Years before of Coconut Oil had made them strong. They refused. They stuck to me, like green fungi on old bread. I pulled them away from my body...they were sticky now...
I cried. My project manager came and told me to concentrate on pulling it apart. I tried. This effort, will this be recorded in my timesheet??? I wondered. No, I need to concentrate...I jumped on the heap and they jumped with me.
Suddenly water drenched me, I felt cold. Now for some shampoo, on the dead cells, I poured, Sunsilk Black with sunflower extracts...to make your hair bounce, shine...the TV was turned on and I kept trying...
It was hair...and hair...

September 2006

No comments: